Boring statistics first. According to Statista, 4.38 BILLION prescriptions were filled in the United States in 2019 and most were not recycled. Most bottles can be recycled but it is up to the local garbage company. Yeah Yeah! I know there are fancy names for the people who take your garbage and recycling away but it’s a garbage company to me.
I had a ton of pill bottles that I was just throwing in a basket because I thought, “Hey, I can do something with those someday.” I get myself in trouble doing that because I end up with too much stuff but not enough time to do anything with it. Does anyone else do that? Anyway, I have been on a mission to organize everything in my home lately so I started using my pill bottles to store things in my junk drawers in my kitchen. Yes, I have two. That’s kind of embarrassing to admit. I started putting tacks, rubberbands and paperclips in the bottles. They work great because they are see-through.
Random thought – Why are pill bottles so ugly? Why are they made that horrid school bus yellow color?
I wanted to store some of my small craft and sewing supplies in the bottles but I am weird about the way things look and if they match so I decided to pretty the bottles up.
I didn’t really take a lot of pictures of my process but I will try to explain the best I can without them. I’m really sorry. I just got caught up in the moment.
I painted the tops of the actual bottles pink. School bus yellow makes me want to hurl. I just painted the part that would peek through under the cap. I wasn’t even neat about it.
I grabbed some duct tape, cut it to size and wrapped it around the bottle.
I have a handy dandy Cricut machine so I cut out white vinyl circles to stick to the tops of the lids. You can just paint them white or cut out a circle of vinyl or duct tape. I can never make a perfect circle on my own.
I found an old metal bobbin that went to one of my old sewing machines and I just glued it on top. It looked lonely so I added some flowers.
I cut out card stock for the two other bottles and glued them on. I had a wooden thread spool that I covered with lace and stuck buttons over it and then clued that to the lid. This one keeps falling over because it is top heavy.
The pin cushion was an epic fail because it is lopsided. i tried to cover it up by gluing flowers under it. I always tell on myself when I make mistakes. It’s a design flaw in my DNA.
Here’s how I made it.
I cut out a 5″ circle of felt.
I basted lightly around it twice and pulled the strings to close it partially.
I stuffed it and then pulled the strings all the way closed. They didn’t want to close because the felt was so thick so I just sewed it closed anyway and it looked like a ragged mess. At this point I was wanting to toss it but I continued, thinking I could save the poor deformed thing. I used a embroidery thread and went up and down through the whole pink tomato and made sections to make it look like a tomato. I sewed the button on last. Then I tried to shape the poor thing and glued it to the top of the lid. I stuck flowers where it was really lopsided to try to hide that it was lopsided. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
And that is basically it. It was all pretty fast and simple except for the tomato monster.
If you have any questions, I’m always happy to help. I mean that.